Kibera

Kibera is the biggest urban slum in Africa and one of the biggest slums in the world. The Government owns all of the land and only 10% of residents are shack owners. These owners let out their inventory of shacks to tenants, thus making the remaining 90% of residents tenants with no rights. The average size of a shack in this area is 12ft x 12ft built with mud walls, a corrugated tin roof with a dirt or concrete floor. These shacks often house up to 8 or more with many sleeping on the floor.

 
 

In most of Kibera there are no toilet facilities. One latrine (hole in the ground) is shared by up to 50 shacks. Once full, young boys are employed to empty the latrine and they take the contents to the river. Unsurprisingly, this practice has made the river water unclean to drink and the biggest cause of typhoid and cholera in the region. 

The unemployment rate of Kibera residents is 50%, and even for residents that are employed, the average salary is less than $1 per day. Receiving an education is critical to these children if they are to have an opportunity to escape Kibera.

 
 

Get Involved

If you have any interest in sponsoring a child or donating directly to our school project, please click on the link below.

Show your support Donate Today

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give”    – Winston Churchill